More than Love

Curveballs. I was never really good at throwing them, but they are an effective strategy to throw off the batter. They don’t see it coming, and it’s hard to react. Let’s be honest, for the batter, a curveball can just flat out piss you off. It seems a little “cheap” in my opinion when it comes to sports, and one might even call it “unfair.” 
Life threw my best friend a curveball this week. My sister-in-law got the news that her cancer has returned after 5 years. She’s fought the fight once. This is a battle she’s already endured. Chemo, radiation, the loss of hair, the sickness, mastectomy, hysterectomy, all while raising two small beautiful girls. And now, after the long fight she fought at 34, here she is again at 40 and it’s back. It’s not my cancer, but I’m on her team. The curveball surprised us all. My reaction was ugly. If it would’ve been an actual game, you could say I threw my bat and yelled. I beat my chest and ran off the field, but not before I expressed my discontent with the pitcher. He delivered the pitch. 
This week has been filled with tears and a whole lot of silence. I want to say I’m questioning God, but even worse... I can’t even say anything. As we sang “It is Well” at church this morning, all I could think is “it’s not well.” 
But friends, in my silence, God heard me. He can do that. And today, he spoke to me. We don’t serve JUST a God who can love us. So much of our world today is about love. Love is the greatest, don’t get me wrong, but love is not the only thing our God can do. Thank you, Jesus, that you are a Savior who can deliver, protect, shield, show mercy, and most of all HEAl. The very same savior who raised the dead and made the blind to see is the same one we worship and serve today. HE is the Great Physician, the Mighty Deliverer. They aren’t just stories. They are miracles performed by a living God who is still performing them today. And that is what we believe in. And that is what we pray. He is still in the business of covering our bodies and healing them... completely. And even when His plans don’t match our wishes or what we thought our life would look like, He is still GOD. Lord, as we pull behind her, heal her and restore her strength. Renew her spirit and her mind and create within her a peace that only you can give. Curveballs are not the end of the game. #teambrooke 

Comments

  1. WOW! What an inspiration you are girl! She is one blessed lady to have you on her team but because of you, that team is about to turn into an army of prayer warriors! And that cancer won't stand a chance against "us"!!! This might sound a little cheesy but I'm gonna say it anyway, "Satan, your curveball is about to get knocked out of the park! And we ain't playin this game no more!!!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts