Broad River Bobcats Do Disney


 We checked our “Disney box” this week, and today I’m going to share all about our experience as first timers. Nate and I both have gone when we were very young. He has some memories of it, but I did not so I considered this my first time. We knew the kids wanted to do it, and we felt the pressure to take them at least once, even though we are more  “lay on the beach” people. There are several things I want to say about the experience, so the best way for me to do this is number each point so I don’t ramble. 

1: I’ll start with the positive. Disney is a jam-up operation. The people are nice, the place is huge, and there is something absolutely mesmerizing about the rides and entertainment- it’s like they say- magic. Maybe some abracadabra mess, but regardless, it’s insane what they are able to do these days, and there were moments when I “felt the magic” (specifically on Peter Pan, the Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Caribbean). It’s a huge place with nice people. 

2: It was hotter than a hoochie Coochie. For those of you who came to our wedding, it was hotter than that. There were multiple times during the day that I could feel sweat beads rolling down my face, my back, and my unmentionables. On Magic Kingdom day, I told my mom I was so glad I was going to heaven because if hell was hotter than Magic Kingdom then it had to be miserable. If we ever go back, I will never go in the summer.

3. It rains every day in Orlando, FL around 3pm, and you never know when it will stop. Want to know how I know? It rained on us both Disney days. We got completely soaked, and so did our $50 pretzel shaped like Mickey Mouse. I didn’t even get to dip that bitch in cheese because it got soaked beforehand. We all looked like wet dogs as we ran carelessly to the ferry boat as the lightning struck close by. We didn’t care. We were making it back to that mini van. 

4: the lines were terrible. The longest one we waited in was for splash mountain, and it was worth it, but it was over an hour. I don’t know what the heck a fast pass is, but I’d have given my soggy pretzel to have a couple of them. Apparently they aren’t doing those right now due to covid, or the new covid, or delta  (I’m just so confused at this point).

5. There are no characters. Well, I take that back. A few times a day, they ride through a certain spot on a float, but they fly by and they don’t stop to say hey or sign autographs or anything, and you won’t find them walking around all over the place. That was tough on Shep, because ALL he wanted to do was see Mickey and chat with him for a few. Once we did see him, it wasn’t personal, and I had to tell Shep that he had to leave to go back to his clubhouse. That was a big mistake, because then Shep wanted to see his clubhouse. Shit, Disney. Where is mickey’s clubhouse? …you know, the one where we can “come inside, it’s fun inside?” Anyway, Shep cried and said Mickey didn’t try to guess his name, and he couldn’t go see his clubhouse. 

6. The dinosaur ride was cool in Animal Kingdom, and so was the safari. We liked Animal Kingdom. They talk a lot about saving the animals, so when Redding was close to the aquarium that had a lot of fish in it and said (very country) that “if he had his line and hook, he’d catch a bunch of them fish,” I’m sure everyone saw our redneck. Also, Shep kept yelling “fire in the hole” all day as we walked the park. I don’t know. I just feed/pray for them. 

7. The boys bought 57 gifts from the gift shops, including but not limited to, Mickey Mouse bubble blowers, Mickey Mouse coin purse, an African drum, 2 soccer balls, legos, a sword, and some tokens that have a character on them. Turns out we could’ve just taken them to the comer fair and let them throw darts at those balloons to win a toy made in China, and they would’ve been just as entertained. 

8. There were a few moments when I saw the magic in their eyes, and I will say it made it worth it. 

9. At the risk of sounding old, Disney Springs was awesome. I loved it. It’s got that “beach boardwalk” feel and some great shopping. It was a nice break from the crazy. I would def go back there for shopping and dining. 

10. Boone had a huge blowout in Magic Kingdom. He pooped so much near the Carousel that it came out of his diaper, into the stroller, and all over his legs/outfit. It was the one moment we split up and Nate had him, and I had the diaper bag. Nate called me and said, “I need you ASAP.” I thought my step dad had a heart attack or someone stole Boone, or maybe, just maybe, he had found Mickey’s clubhouse. It sounded THAt serious, but no… Boone just took a huge dump. We literally changed him on the concrete sidewalk and threw his clothes away. The magic had to continue. 



All in all, it was a great trip, but I can say we checked the box, and I don’t know that we will be the repeat customers that so many are. I think we’d like to go back, but we will def do a cooler season and wait until all the restrictions are lifted. 

I’m thankful we had my mom and stepdad there to help with Boone, because having 3 at the ages we have in a park that size is both nerve racking and difficult. 

We are excited to be heading home and are thankful we had the opportunity to take the trip. Was it worth it? Yes. Would our boys have been just as content to play on the beach all day and swim in the pool? Yes. 


Back to the woods with full hearts,

Christy  

Comments

Popular Posts