Have Mercy, God

It's been a while since I've written, but I'm a firm believer in only doing so when i really feel like I have something to say. I read a post today that has left me in thought all day, and I cannot seem to shake the words: Maybe instead of saying the familiar "God Bless America," our words should in fact be, "God have mercy." The last few weeks have been filed with news of new laws and deals that have been made, and I've seen my newsfeed filled with troubling updates and opinions on both sides of every issue. For years we have asked God to bless our nation. We have asked for his goodness, his blessing, his kindness and his favor. Hate has filled our hearts and conversation, but we still ask for more of him. Is he not there? Has he changed? Is he coming soon? Is he angry? Is this a part of his plan? Has he turned his ear to our plea? There have been moments of deep meditation and question from evey believer. We stand firm in our faith and beliefs, but still we wonder where is He in this "mess?" I, too, have been confused and upset  by some of our current issues, but today when I read this post, I could not seem to shake it. God bless America? I think we should be asking God for his mercy. Has he not blessed us already? Has he not provided above and beyond our needs? Has he not protected us, provided for us, loved us, and forgiven us? Let me clear...God has not changed. Perhaps we should be asking God for his mercy, not his blessing. So today, this is my prayer: 
God have mercy. 
Have mercy on our thoughts that are not of you.  
Have mercy on our judgement, that only you are allowed to have.
Have mercy on the time I've spent judging and not loving.
Have mercy on the FB post I just read and condemned.
Have mercy on the meek and broken-hearted who ache for love and favor who have not received. 
Have mercy on me for not providing.
Have mercy on the sick that I have not cared for. 
Have mercy on my tongue that speaks of your judgement that I don't understand. 
Have mercy on the lost that I have not told of your love. 
Have mercy on me for my sins, that I see as smaller than those of those around me.
Have mercy on my time that I don't give to furthering your kingdom. 
Have mercy on my ears that only hear and believe the things that aren't of you.
Have mercy on my tongue that speaks of things only you know.
Have mercy on my heart, Oh God, as un-pure as it is. 
Have mercy on me, your child, for I am unworthy. 

Have mercy on me, God. I have failed you. 

God bless America? No. God have mercy on us. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts