Night and Day



 I think anyone who has met our older two know they are different. It’s really unreal sometimes. My oldest craves justice, and is a rule follower. He’s also a perfectionist and may have a little of my anxiety when things aren’t what he portrays as “right.” It’s more clear at home than it was in a school setting (isn’t it always), but I’m happy that his true heart comes out with me in our home where he is most comfortable.  Our middle child was born to be the middle. While big brother is upset because he didn’t make his “k” perfectly, the middle is asking us if we “want to hear him fart all day.” Honestly, if he was able to fart ALL day, I would be down for hearing that, but what I’m getting at is that he is an entertainer. He’s in costume, singing Morgan Wallen, or hiding in the pantry eating Sour Patch Kids on the regular. 

These differences are starting to show more and more as we begin to get situated and in a homeschool routine. It’s so interesting to watch and be a part of, and I predict will be challenging as they begin to show more and more of their different learning styles. 

We have obvious different lessons for reading and math, but I try to do many of the science/social studies things together. As we discussed fire safety, I could see Redd’s wheels turning as he worried about what would happen if there was a fire, while Shep is eager to “make fire” each morning as we light the candle for our bible lesson. God Jesus, be with me. 

I am learning more about myself, as well. I’ve been an educator for a long time, and my mom was a teacher. I know about all the “school things,” but teaching your own children at home is a whole new world. It’s fascinating, really. In the words of my friend Jessie during the pandemic, “y’all can say what you want about working moms, and you can say what you want about stay at home moms, but y’all can’t say &$@! about homeschool moms…they are the real mvps.” 😂 

It’s hard work, but I’m convinced its kingdom work for me and mine, and while it may not last forever, I’m soaking up the chance I’ve been given to love them, teach them, and enjoy them…all the while speaking the name of Jesus for their little ears to hear. 


Jesus and Coffee, 

-Christy 

Comments

Popular Posts